Appliqué Finishing Techniques
Fusible appliqué must have the edges sewn down to be truly permanent. Fusing alone will work if your quilt or project is a wall hanging or art quilt that won't see much handling, but if it is a quilt that will be used, handled and loved (especially by children!) then it needs to be securely stitched. The stitching might be virtually invisible—it might be a brightly colored decorative stitch that becomes a design element of its own.
Come to this class and learn how to use many different stitches and the threads to choose for them. You will create an appliqué stitch reference sampler, practice on sample appliqués and work on your own appliqué project if you already have one.
Billie has taught many appliqué classes but this is the first one devoted solely to finishing the appliqués and is a perfect accompaniment to her workshops. Class is $30, plus there is a $5.00 materials fee payable directly to the instructor
- Sewing machine & regular supplies.
- Open-toe satin and/or appliqué presser foot
- Topstitching needles, sizes 80/12, 90/14, and 100/16.
- Fuse eight to twelve 2" x 6" rectangles to piece of fabric wide enough to hold all of them with generous margins, or to a fat quarter. These can be scraps but make sure there is a good contrast between the rectangles and background fabric.
- Practice appliqués fused to background fabric, or bring scraps and fusible webbing to make some in class.
- Your own appliqué project if you already have one.
- Various threads you'd like to try out. Your instructor will also provide some threads you can experiment with.
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Class, club, and event fees are nonrefundable. You must cancel 72 hours before the first session of the class, club, or event to receive store credit or apply the fee to another class, club or event. However, if the instructor or Montavilla Sewing Centers has to cancel a class, club, or event, you have the option for a store credit or full refund. Students must bring their own machines to all classes, unless otherwise noted. We request that you do not bring children or guests to the classes. Thank you!