Intro to Sewing
You have a new machine...now what do you do with it? Allow Kathi to introduce you to basic sewing techniques. You will learn how to sew straight and curves; different seam finishes; fabric grains, types, uses and terms; thread and needle types and function; and much more. You will make samples to put into a folder to keep for reference. When you will finish this class, you will be ready to step into your first sewing project! For ages 12 to adult.
There is a $5 kit fee, payable to the instructor in class.
- Sewing machine in good working order
- You should be able to thread your machine and wind your bobbin before class
- Clothing pattern of your choice with the instruction sheet included, we will be learning to read the information on the pattern.
- Brightly colored thread for your machine (we want to be able to see our stitches on the practice fabric)
- Size 80/12 needles for your machine
- Basic sewing supplies, including thread matching your fabric, bobbins, pins, marking tools, thread snips, scissors, seam guide. Also, a rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat if you have them. These items may be purchased at Montavilla if you don't have them yet.
- Pen or pencil for taking notes
- 1 yard of cotton fabric, pre-washed, for your pillowcase
Cancellation & Refund Policy
Class, club, and event fees are nonrefundable. You must cancel 72 hours before the first session of the class, club, or event to receive store credit or apply the fee to another class, club or event. However, if the instructor or Montavilla Sewing Centers has to cancel a class, club, or event, you have the option for a store credit or full refund. Students must bring their own machines to all classes, unless otherwise noted. We request that you do not bring children or guests to the classes. Thank you!