Elizabeth learned to sew at age 11 and has been sewing ever since. During her school years, sewing gave her a creative break from academics, bringing pleasure to everyone she sewed for. She began sewing professionally a few years after university, when she realized she could work from a home studio as a stay-at-home mom. For years she specialized in quality alterations for women who value the impact of clothes that fit.
Elizabeth teaches sewing to people age 7 and up. She uses a project-based curriculum honed over 20 years of teaching, with options for a wide variety of ages and abilities. Students of all ages come for private lessons and pattern fitting in her home studio.
She has been a member since 1991 of what has become the Association of Sewing and Design Professionals, and has taken professional seminars and served in local leadership most of that time. The networking and shared passion for excellent sewing and good business practices are energizing. She fulfilled a long-term goal when she completed the Master of Sewing and Design Certificate in 2018, which required comprehensive evaluation of her professional knowledge and skills in seven key areas.
Her professional experiences include:
- Operating Summer Fun Sewing Camps for kids and teens for over 20 years. Due to a curriculum of useful and fashionable projects for four skill levels, campers were inspired to return for several camps and develop their skills while having fun.
- Teaching adult sewing classes at a premier Portland fabric store for over 10 years and developing a full schedule of classes ranging from basic to advanced.
- Teaching Apparel Construction for several years as an adjunct instructor at George Fox University; also, working in a local high school with Tech Theater/Costume Shop students.
- Creating and operating activities for young, challenged kids to experience sewing success at Royal Family Kids Camps
- Leading as president of the Oregon chapter of ASDP from 2012 to 2016; other leadership roles include newsletter editor, evaluation committee chair, and the vice president in charge of general meetings.
Classes by Elizabeth
|Essential Tools for Teaching Kids to Sew||Beaverton||$30.00||More Info|